Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
slowinski
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
iPad Photography Workflow - argh!
Nov 29, 2012

I'm struggling with finding the right tools for my iPad / Macbook Pro photography workflow. The frustrating part is that I feel like what I want to do is pretty simple and straightforward, yet I haven't been able to find anything that works well! My main camera is the Olympus OM-D E-M5, and I typically shoot RAW+JPG.

Here's what I want to be able to do:

1. Download all photos (JPG+RAW) to iPad via Camera Connection Kit
  2. Sort photos into albums, delete bad ones, keep good ones, add stars (or some identifier) to select photos
  3. Download photos (JPG+RAW) to computer, keeping albums and identifiers (stars, etc) in tact
  4. Delete RAW photos from iPad, and keep JPGs
  5. Edit RAW photos in Lightroom (or Aperture) on the computer, post to web, etc

Here's what I've tried, and why each doesn't work very well:

a)Photos app: doesn't keep the photos in the albums I created when I try to export to the computer (major downfall). Doesn't allow for starring or other identifies (minor downfall).

b)iPhoto app: doesn't handle exporting to the computer very well, and doesn't export RAW.

c)Photosmith app and Lightroom plugin: operation is painfully slow with the Olympus .ORF raw files. Exporting to the computer takes a very long time, and the vocabulary of the different actions is difficult to decipher. DOES do the tagging and album preservation well, and DOES export the RAW files straight to Lightroom.

d)Photo Manager Pro app: Doesn't export RAW files. DOES preserve stars and albums. DOES allow for FTP export via the cable, which I don't mind because it's FAST.

I haven't even gotten to the part about deleting the RAW files off of the iPad and keeping the JPGs yet, because I haven't gotten through the other steps!

What would be great is if Photosmith had options to:

• View only the JPGs files but keep the RAW files behind the scenes to speed up operation
  • Export via FTP to speed up the export to the computer

Has anyone found a good way to do these (straightforward, IMO) tasks?

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Rob

Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow