Who here uses a monopod?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,513
Like?
Re: Who here uses a monopod?
In reply to tamasine, Nov 28, 2012

I use a monopod primarily to support big honkin' heavy lenses like a 300 f/2.8 or especially a 400 f/2.8 for sports, news and fashion photography. Similarly, I can see it being used for the same reason for wildlife photography.

A monopod does not allow the ultra-long exposures of a tripod, but I have shot a speaker at a podium with a 300 f/2.8 at 1/60th sec. and got most of the shots sharp. A monopod will allow you 2-3 extra stops of speed, but nothing like a tripod. A monopod is generally lighter and more compact than a tripod.

Also, as the previous poster said, the small footprint makes it far more practical when working in crowded conditions. Many museums do not allow tripods for safety reasons. Pretty bad idea on city streets, too.

Like a tripod, a monopod is a one-time purchase. If you decide to get one, buy the very best you can afford. I use a Gitzo I bought over 20 years ago and it still works perfectly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow