Selling my 70-200/F2.8 IS Mark II : alternative for indoor tele?

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
eyeport
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
Re: Selling my 70-200/F2.8 IS Mark II : alternative for indoor tele?
In reply to Hans von der Crone, Nov 28, 2012

Hans von der Crone wrote:

Hi guys

I'm thinking about selling my 70-200/F2.8 IS Mark II simply because I only tend to use it for paid photowork (which isn't that much) like weddings, baptisms etc. I find it a bit silly to have such an expensive lens in my bag and not using it (it is very very heavy).

Now, since I do mostly indoor shooting with my SLR, I'm thinking maybe there's a nice alternative for a lesser price, but I wouldn't know. The 70-200 is used in those shoots to get close to the kids/couples without them noticing too much, giving me nice spontaneous portraits. Are there (cheaper/lighter) alternatives?

I was considering this one: Canon EF 135mm f 2 L USM . Or would this one be a good choice? The Canon EF 100mm f 2.8 L Macro IS USM . I don't have Macro lens yet, so that would be a nice plus, but I'm not sure a macro is suited for this kind of work too (indoor portraits).

People's shooting needs change and that's the way it is if you love shooting. And 70-200 is probably the lens you won't want to sell. It as the best IS still.

100L focuses REALly slow in very dim light. You will find it difficult to nail focus even with a 1D. focus point goes beyond the subject and reach infinity, then draws back and forth for a while to focus...but that's in very dim light. My experience anyway. It focuses nowhere near as fast as 70-200

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Felix Wu
Creationheart Photography
www.creationheart.com
Canon 1Dx, Canon 5D Mk3, 16-35L II, 35L, 85L, 100L, 135L, 70-200L IS II, 580EXII x2, PWplus3 x3, ThinkTank Airport Takeoff, Thinktank Retrospective LC3, Shootsac

eyeport's gear list:eyeport's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow