Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 757Gear list
Like?
Re: Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?
In reply to ToTheEnd, Nov 28, 2012

ToTheEnd wrote:

Hello all!

Long time... and lot of news. To make a long story short, I'm tired of Canon after having spent 10 or 15 years with it. Basically, very poor handling of AF with the 5DmII over 4 years and the price hike for the 5DmIII definitely convinced me that this company doesn't deserve any additional money from my side.

I'm turning to the community as, to be perfectly honest, I don't know Nikon. Of course, I read reviews and as Nikon is one of the main competitor of Canon, I believe they make great stuff. As I don't know this brand very well, I want to make sure I'm not forgetting something.

This is my actual Canon material:

Canon SL580EX II Speedlite Flash

Canon Objektiv EF 16-35mm, f/2.8L II USM

Canon Objektiv EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

Canon Extender EF 1.4x II

Canon EOS 5D MKII, 21 Megapixel

Canon Objektiv EF 24-70mm, f/ 2.8 L USM

Canon Objektiv EF 100-400mm, f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Canon RS-80 N3

Canon RC-5

And I want to take this:

NIKON AF-S 14-24mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF-S 50mm F/1.4G

Nikon D800, 36.3 MP Body

NIKON AF-S 24-70mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF VR 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6D ED

NIKON MC-DC2

NIKON ML-L3

I don't need a Nikon Flash as now I have access to pro flashes (and D800 comes with a small flash anyway), don't need an extender and the 50mm 1.4 should be enough vs the Canon 1.2!

Now, is the remote MC-DC2 compatible with the D800? (not clear on the website)

As for lenses... to say the least, I found it very difficult to understand the naming convention of Nikon! Are those lenses OK? Are they equivalent to Canon L serie?

Thanks,

T

Longtime nikon shooter and professional photographer (D800 owner as well)

I have a few suggestions

get the 70-200 vr (fabulous lens) and a nikon 2x teleconverter. more versatile and i cant reccomend the 80-400. there maybe a refresh soon but the 70-200 plus teleconverter method is the way to go imho.

get the 50mm f1.8 g its really just as good as the 50mm f1.4 g. consider the 85mm f1.8g one of the sharpest lenses nikon makes at 500 dollars its sort of a no brainer. and one of the best lenses to photograph portraits with. if you never do portraits dont get it but otherwise must have

get the tamron 24-70 2.8 vc. the image stabilaztion is invalueble and it is near as makes no difference as sharp as the nikkor. bokeh quality falls alittle but use the 85mm f1.8 g for medium telephoto shallow dof shots . itll beat the pants off both and the tamron will save you enough money to get it

your going to freaking love that 14-24 i cant even tell you how much. so good you can hardly believe its as good as it is

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow