Starting a portrait photographer business

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Questions thread
D700man
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
You definitely will need to have a plan and a 2nd job at first.
In reply to skxogus, Nov 28, 2012

Portrait/family photography honestly doesn't pay enough in most cases. You really need to get into Wedding photography. I have a few mentors that do 20 weddings a year averaging $5k per wedding and stays booked. A lot of their success is just word of mouth and reputation. But they are strictly a wedding photographer and do lots of location weddings also.....must be nice huh? Going to Cancun, Bahamas, Bora Bora to shoot a wedding and have all expenses paid and making a profit. You have to be dang good though and you have to be likable. I know what it takes but I lack the creative skills of shooting. Catching the right moments and taking pics of pretty people and wealthy people seems what these guys do.....or maybe that's all they post on their blogs. I can get maybe a few but some of these guys get countless breath taking shots that are just remarkable.

I do maybe 4-5 weddings a year and wish I could do more as they do pay very well even for the little I charge. I do lots and lots and lots of family, couples and high school seniors and have been only charging $100 with image cd and print release. I've been swamped but when I charged $200 I didn't get very much business.....some but not near as much as today. Luckily I enjoy doing this part time but I do get tired of editing photos as I'm so anal about each one and spend so much time on them.

Anyways, my absolutely best sources for obtaining biz is #1 Facebook. Build a page and start getting your friends to "like" your page, post status updates, etc. #2 is word of mouth. I get lots of referrals from clients. I've tried news paper, craigslist, twitter and FB and referrals has been the ticket for me.

-- hide signature --

www.brentpearcy.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow