From Nikon D700 to OMD EM5

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark B UK
Contributing MemberPosts: 954Gear list
Like?
Re: From Nikon D700 to OMD EM5
In reply to jim stirling, Nov 28, 2012

I was a long-time Nikon user in the film era, was a late adopter of digital (2005), deliberately shied away from the bulky pro and semi-pro bodies and fast zooms because I knew that equipment of that bulk and heft would be left at home (I combine photography with travelling, often business trips where I'm limited in how much I can or want to take) and found all my digital gear until the E-M5 a compromise. 16MP is plenty of resolution (as is 10-12 frankly) but my GH-1 and, before that, Sony R1 compromised high ISO performance, low light focusing and, in particular, dynamic range, more than I was comfortable with.

The E-M5 and two fast Lumix zooms are in my view a good basic kit; I also have the 12mm (limited edition black) and will get the 60 macro for times when I want a camera and a pocketable spare lens when carrying a gadget bag is impractical. While I haven't yet had a chance to test the 12mm, early indications are that the performance of the lenses is very satisfactory. For the first time I think there's a really small digital camera system that delivers performance that is likely to fully satisfy me, and probably many other enthusiastic amateurs.

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow