RX1 - Samples and Reviews (Part II)

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
joesilver
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Re: Steve Huff: Use of Language v. Credibility (OT)
In reply to tesilab, Nov 28, 2012

tesilab wrote:

Better to judge whether his enthusiasm, rather than his language, is warranted.

Yes, I think your comment kind of points to the same issue, or perhaps a different aspect of it. Hyped-up language, including lazy cliches like "literally," puts me on my guard and makes me wonder how much substance lies behind the hype. Based on this review and other writings by Steve Huff, I don't see much, if any, difference between him and, say, Ken Rockwell. They're both just guys with opinions and access to a lot of photographic equipment. Except that I don't recall ever having seen Ken misuse the word "literally." 

And "literally" isn't so egregious an error in this particular case, given the size of all FF cameras with the exception of the stratospherically priced Leica Ms. Those cameras are giants, literally.

Even if we accept that assertion (although even a Nikon D4 is pretty small compared to, say, a redwood tree or the planet Jupiter), the RX1 does not literally kill other full frame cameras. That would imply that these cameras are living beings and that the RX1 goes around shooting or stabbing them.

joesilver's gear list:joesilver's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow