Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,460Gear list
Like?
Re: Fed up with Canon How about Metz?
In reply to Jacques Cornell, Nov 28, 2012

Majikthize wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

I'm not happy with what I'm getting from my Canon Flashes. Very inconsistent exposure with the RF models and VERY slow recycle. Crazy exposure with regular wireless TTL.

I used to use Metz flashes with no trouble at all. Any one using the Metz 58 flashes and liking them?

Tom

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

I just sold my 58 af-2. Great flash but did not give me what I needed. I purchased it for the legendary auto exposure which did not disappoint. Very accurate exposures however I am a high ISO shooter when it comes to poorly lit events. I kept getting the overexposure warning beep with ISO sometimes at ISO 1600 and for sure at 3200 at wider apertures.

In auto mode when overexposure occurs with flash at high ISO’s it is because there are physical limits to how fast the flash tube can be fired then quenched. The flash simply can't turn itself off flash enough to prevent overexposure of the foreground.

I run into this using my older Metz 54MZ-3 and 50MZ-5 flashes. At about ISO 3200 & f2.0 in auto mode the flash output is too high. However, this is due to the auto circuitry, not any inability to reduce output, as I can put the flash on manual at down to 1/256 power and get good exposures. It seems the auto mode only goes down to about 1/16 or 1/32 power.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Interesting. Took me a long time to figure out what was going on. On another note I called Metz support in the USA and they told me although people get away with the system was never designed to use FEC when in Auto mode. ETTL only.  Too bad as I was really really impressed with the Auto mode.

I agree. Both Canon and Metz must be able to power down more than their lowest power setting in ETTL because you can adjust negative FEC at lowest setting.

Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow