Like?
Re: ADI and 'D' lenses
In reply to PORTRAIT, Nov 28, 2012

PORTRAIT wrote:

sensibill wrote:

ADI is a distance calculation for flash:

(from Dyxum)

D – Minolta; Sony, other lens manufacturer

D-Series lenses include distance-encoding device which enables improved calculation for flash exposure when used on cameras with ADI (Advanced Distance Integration) support. We know that even old lenses do provide subject distance info, but D lenses are very likely to do this more precisely. As far we know ADI support is found on most modern AF lenses for Minolta a mount and you can recognize them by 8 lens contacts on the mount (while older lenses have only 5 contacts). Whether or not ADI is bringing any significant improvement to flash exposure is debatable and users opinion are different. A very common misunderstanding is that D mark means "Digital" which is absolutely wrong. D series lenses are in no way optimised better for digital cameras than non D lenses.

Thank you very much for your explanation mate...I will get it sometime today then

-- hide signature --

Marco
SONY SLT A55
NIKON P 6000
CANON A80
Photography it's all about...Art & Science
http://marcoimages.blogspot.com/

Even so, with it not being ADI compatible, you can put your flash into TTL mode in your camera settings and it will work that way. I love my 50/1.7 for all sorts of shooting and inthe last 2 weeks, it has rarely been off of my A99. I picked it up about 4 years ago, shortly after I bought my first Alpha, my old A200 and have used it on that, the A77 and now the A99 without any issues. I even had to take it apart and put it back together to get rid of some fungus on the internal lens element and it is built like a tank.  VERY good lens.

Takuya's gear list:Takuya's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow