Is Macbook Pro Retina 13 worth it?

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Questions thread
Paul Szilard
Contributing MemberPosts: 784Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes
In reply to Najinsky, Nov 28, 2012

Just to add my 2 cents' worth:

IF all things were the same then retina screen is good, BUT they are not! The Retina MBP got the lowest repairable rating from i-Fixit. These machines are designed to be very difficult to upgrade (e.g. soldered ram, proprietary SSD, pentalobe screws, etc.), so I would stay clear of them.

For a primary computer, I chose the non-retina 15" MBP with the hi-res antiglare screen and to cpou upgrade. I then swapped the HDD with an Intel 480GB SSD and the memory with 16GB of Corsair MacMemory. At home I run the laptop with the lid closed, and a Thunderbolt connected 27" Apple Cinema display, and a daisy chained Thunderbolt connected LaCie 4TB RAID 0 drive enclosure, plus 20TB of NAS. By the way, I also run Windows 7 in a Parallels environment.

The reason I describe this is to show the "big picture". Both Retina and Apple have more consideration than meets the eye. E.g. system upgradability, Thunderbolt connection, operating system stability, etc.

For me, I am very pleased with my choice of hardware, but of course it is a personal matter. Hope this helped a little...

-- hide signature --
 Paul Szilard's gear list:Paul Szilard's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow