ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mac
Mac
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
Upgrade PowerShot S70 to S100?
Nov 28, 2012

After 7 years, my compact P&S S70 continues to perform.  At one time, I carried in within my computer bag all over the US as a travel camera but with the migration to DSLR several years ago, I don't use it much anymore.

On Black Friday, I did an impulse buy on the S100 deal at Amazon.  The camera was $229 including an 8GB card.  I also picked up the "leather" case for $5.  The camera arrived yesterday but have not opened the box.  I don't know if I am having buyers remorse but sincerely questioning if the upgrade is really worth it?  Because it is upopened, I can still return the camera to Amazon for a full refund.

I haven't kept up much on Canon P&S over the last few years but appears the S series has been repositioned.  At one time, the S series was the compact version of the G series, meaning that it was a relatively fully featured prosumer class camera in a small form factor.  For example, the S70 support infared remote control and though I've never used it, it could also be controlled remotely by a PC.  Somewhere along the line, Canon decided to drop these features including the optical viewfinder.  Haven't done a detailed comparison so not certain what I am giving up and what is being gained.

I would be interested in the opinions of those who have used both S70 and the S100.  I would expect there to be an improvement in IQ but is the trade off in features worthwhile? Given this is a P&S, I don't expect it to match my DSLR so IQ is relative.  I guess what I am asking,  is the S100 a worthy upgrade over the S70?

Thanks, Mac

Mac's gear list:Mac's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +13 more
Nikon Coolpix S70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow