Sony A99 steadyshot (sony electronic image stabilization) video sample at 70-200 mm. UNUSABLE!!!

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A99 steadyshot (sony electronic image stabilization) video sample at 70-200 mm. UNUSABLE!!!
In reply to Glenn, Nov 28, 2012

Look at the borders of the frame.  It's not too unsteady.  It's actually pretty stable IMO.  I can show you unsteady footage if you want to see the difference.

I experienced something similar to this in AF mode, but nothing this bad.

What's really funny is by default Youtube does not have HD on if you play back the video in a window; only once you click full screen does it go full 1080p HD.  I couldn't tell much difference with HD on or off...

I would highly recommend anyone thinking of buying the a99 for video to find something else.  Stick with the a77, or the A57.

The a99:

Has micro studder problems with IS turned on.  Is not sharp.  Too compressed.  Gets visibly noisy as low as ISO 2500. Looks very low resolution.   In camera NR and sharpness appear to have no effect on video mode.

AF-D focus does not work in video mode even with the Zeiss 24-70.  AF Range limiter does not work in video mode.

Cannot do "push focus" Autofocus like you can with other cameras (AF-100, Mark II/III, D800 etc.)  You have one choice for auto focusing in video mode - "P" mode, where the camera automatically controls the exposure and it's set to F/3.5.

Say you wanted to shoot a video @ F/5.6 or F/2 and periodically half-press the shutter to pull focus.  Can't be done with the A99.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow