Replace damaged 18-105 with same or 18-200?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MrsT
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
Replace damaged 18-105 with same or 18-200?
Nov 28, 2012

Sadly a Margarita dulled my senses and I didn't see it coming when my grandson swung at the glass which spilled on my camera.  My camera survived but the lens did not. Sugar and salt in the barrel require a costly fix.

I have some ideas for replacement.  I need a general purpose lens to avoid having to carry a lot of lenses.

As posted on many occasions I do a lot of indoor/family images and I have decided to purchase the SB700 flash for indoor/low light use. I own the 35 f1.8 I received as a gift but I'm not having fun with it.

With that in mind, I'm considering the re-purchase the Nikon 18-105 VR or try the Nikon 18-200 VRII, or 16-85.

From what I have read I think they are comprable in IQ.  Is it worth spending the extra dollars for more reach the 18-200 provides?  I like to get close in some cases such as architectural details, kids games, or animals at the zoo, but I noticed I don't go over 105mm it most cases and own the 70-300 which I use for those occasions.

The 16-85 is in the middle price wise and is also a possibility.

Thanks,

MT

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow