Can a screw on solid ND filter work with a Sigma 10-20 ultra wide at 10mm?

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,543Gear list
Like?
Re: If you say so...
In reply to photonius, Nov 28, 2012

photonius wrote:

That is then indeed poor design on Sigma's part.

It is certainly not optimal. The Sigma is also 2/3rds the price of the Canon. You can't win them all.

It does remind me though of the reports that some Canon UV filters touch the front element of the Canon 10-22. Also bad design.

That I find worse. At least the vignetting is constrained to the wider end. A filter touching the front element is all through the range. You do notice the rather ironic 'coincidence' with regard to lack of vignetting on the Canon, right?

So I agree, one can't really make assumptions that companies design everything properly.

Properly is a strong word. I'd rather say, that since we don't know the design constraints, we should exercise care in our assumptions. Comes out to the same thing in many cases

Comparing apples to apples is always better. And examining your apples to reveal hidden pears is also good.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow