Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Re: DNG
In reply to stevemot, Nov 28, 2012

stevemot wrote:

abelits wrote:

What is sad, they probably can, and it would be entirely within DNG specs, however no DNG-processing software would recognize it because the file would still reflect X-Trans layout.

As I have mentioned in another thread I just use Silkypix and treat TIFFs as "the new RAW", to be used as input for everything else.

Actually, Fuji have the option to support "linear DNG", which is an option in the DNG standard that supports pre-demosaiced data (or data that was never mosaiced, like the Sigma Foveon sensors). My ideal would be if the camera saved in linear DNG, which allows Fuji to keep their precious demosaicing IP (which we see in the great in-camera JPGs), but would save in a file that allowed full flexibility in terms of colour, dynamic range in any processing software that supports it.

Steve

Using the DNG format would allow companies to potentially skip some work getting the data in the RAF files into their programs. But then they'd be just as stuck as they wouldn't know how to deal with the data. Just because the data were written in DNG format doesn't mean they can be processed using approaches that already exist in the programs.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow