minolta 50 1.7 'horrid bokeh'...nonsense!

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,541
Like?
minolta 50 1.7 'horrid bokeh'...nonsense!
Nov 28, 2012

sure the $400 sony 1.4 looks better at 1.7

but see how its not so great wide open like the minolta1.7

the corners leave much to be desired for sharpness along with its light falloff (vignetting)

see how bokeh stopped down x1 smooths out so the minolta at 2.2 looks just like the 1.4 at a1.7

sony 1.8

I have gotten a little tired of hearing how minolta 50mm 1.7 is an inferior lens compared to the sony 50mm 1.8 and sony 50mm 1.4.  If you want to spend the extra money for a little better bokeh at 50mm 1.7 have a blast and live with its corner softness and vignetting while your at it. Not saying its not a good lens but someone here is soooo adamant about his bokeh knowledge which would be fine. But going about 'trashing' other lenses as horrid bokeh lenses is getting to be a little much. Oh and minoltas 100-2004.5 bokeh is still good maybe a little better at f5 than 4.5. Thanks for looking and enjoy your equipment but you really shouldnt try and 'bash' a classic based on spending another $350 or $75...I for one think the 50mm minolta is a better lens than both sonys. But thats my opinion. Many will think/believe/know otherwise based on thier preferences and experience. brian

Leica X1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow