Will sun-included shots damage XE1 sensor?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,593Gear list
Like?
Will sun-included shots damage XE1 sensor?
Nov 28, 2012

Hi, I'm coming from a  DSLR background and awaiting the arrival of XE1s zoom kits here to decide on buying.  I quite like taking sun-included shots on my DSLR - certain WA lenses handle it beautifully.  With a DSLR the sun isn't focused onto the sensor, but back through the prism on to the focusing screen.  That's until the moment of exposure of course, but that's inevitably short with the sun in the frame.  With a mirrorless camera like the XE1, if you point the camera at the sun, the sensor's exposure to the sun is considerably longer than the shutter speed.  Is this likely to burn/damage the sensor?  How quickly does it happen?

I guess it could also happen unintentionally, if the camera is on (or even off?) and the sun strikes the lens.  Eg if it's left with the lens up on a table outside.

Anyone know?  Any experiences?

Thx,  Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow