>>>> Street Photography eXchange #24 <<<

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?
Re: I guess Chris and Sal are right, my sign shots are slipping
In reply to fad, Nov 28, 2012

sal is right, these are better. the first two show a more clear connection between their elements. the third one might have had more potential except that too me, rather than the man looking like he's looking at the woman in the sign, he looks to me like he's glancing up to see what you're photographing. don't know if that's really what happened, but since it is what looks like is happening to me, it ends up appearing contrived instead of discovered. also, i'd burn down the man's jacket so the grain isn't so apparent. the last one i don't really get.

i still have reservations in general (not just to your photos, frank) about shots which primarily merely record a graphic display expressly created (by someone else) to be visually attractive. i think of it as otherpeople'sart, and to snap it as the culmination of the other artist's work. eg, there's a plumbing service here which puts a graphic of a guy sitting on a toilet on the driver's door, lined up so where his head would be you see the driver's head. so far i have resisted taking a photo of it, although it is cute.

but there are always exceptions, and sometimes a shot which incorporates otherpeople'sart manages to transcend it--usually when something about the picture seems to exceed the imagination of the people who crafted the graphic.

after all, these days much of our designed environment was created deliberately with the occupants appearance and performance in mind. even many public features and installations could be considered to be compromised in the same way--the giant fountain i sometimes photograph downtown, for instance, must have been designed with the rainbows which form in the mist in mind. well, what can you do.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow