JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D7000 Lens dilema
In reply to RobSouthOz, Nov 28, 2012

RobSouthOz wrote:

cambau wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have pretty much settled on a Nikon D7000 for Christmas. I want a bit of zoom so I was going to go for the twin lens 18-55VR and 55-300VR option. I also like taking macro shots.

When I went to the local camera store today , they tried to encourage me to go for a Tamron 18-270mm lens. They said this was a much better lens but I've read that this lens is slow to focus and not great for macro stuff.

I'm a bit confused on which way to go know.thoughts?

The Nikon kits lenses are very good for their price point (all are sharp). I personally would consider the 18-105VR for the walk around lens instead of 18-55 for the increased range/convenience. The increased overlap means less changing and second guessing yourself, while in all likelihood providing less compromised optics that is often the case with superzooms.

I have no experience of the Tamron 18-270 so will leave comments on that to others - it may be a good option if you don't want to change lenses at all, like on holidays.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

+1 for the 18-105. Its sharp throughout its entire range and the range of focal lengths is extremely useful. Personally I would avoid the superzooms the huge range will force design compromises in optical performance.

Always be wary of what the sales person tries to push onto to you. Here is a useful tip. You can always tell when a salesman is lying to you. Watch his lips carefully. They move when he is not telling the truth.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow