Started Nov 28, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
oldphotog2
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Thinking of switching to EPL-5, yet questions
Nov 28, 2012

I'm seriously researching on obtaining an Oly EPL-5 if I can sell some old Nikkor lenses. If I'm successful I should have enough for the body, two lenses and a flash, and enough left to use for X-mas.

I'm putting into the closet my Nikon D200, 12-24, 18-200, 35-70, SB-800, & selling the 70-200 f2.8 VR & TC-14eII teleconverter. The reason is a medical condidtion where I faint if the stuff hangs around my neck or shoulder for more then 30min. I haven't taken photos for the last three years and I really miss it. I've been taking photos everyday from 1972-1999 as a photojournalist. I retired just when things were switching to digital. I'm a Nikon zealot and used everything from Nikon F to F5. My two favorite lenses are 24mm & 70-200 f2.8, and if given a third it would be a 300mm f2.8. But today I can't even have the D200 with 18-200 around neck.

My hope is that the EPL-5 will do the job. I no longer freelance or have photos in the news magazines, and diffenantly given up doing my love of sports. Tis hard getting it into my thoughts that I no longer need the best, but would like to be prepaired with the right stuff just in case. Today it is just doing "fine art," just for me. And now that my first grandchild is born it will be on the little one and family events. I won't print anything larger then a 13x19 (if ever). Really couldn't care less about video (that's what camcorders are for), but guess I need to familiarize myself so that I won't totally be a dinosaur. My vision is 1/3 wide and the rest telephoto with wide open apertures.

I do not like the Nikon 1 CX censor; don't like the Canon EOSM for I fear the company will not support it; I 've looked at the Sony NEX but find it diffucult to focus for me and to large. Fuji is too expensive; and Panosonic just doesn't work (they're a stero company). Oly has a history with the line, and in the old film days I was very much tempted by the OM -1/2!

A problem is my computer hardware is old, I'm using Adobe CS2 suite and Lighroom 3.6. I want to upgrade to LR 4, but have to change OS systems from XP to win 8. If I do that, Adobe CS2 won't work.

I still have a studio strobe with a built in slave, so I guess one can fire to flash to trip the strobe. Don't like this but with no sync port this is all I can thinks of.

So question 1: Will the EPL-5 have the quality to make a 13x19 enlargment if needed?

Qestion 2: I don't like the fact that micro 4/3 seem not to have wides. Read that Oly now has a wide prime but $700 is a bit steep! What two lenes would one suggest?

Question 3: There is no company that has Olympus carried in the store for me to look at, to handle, to see if they will cause me to faint too. Suggestions?

As one can see, this is a big switch that must fill the need for years to come.

If it helps at all here's my old website: http://armourer.wix.com/gb-photo

oldphotog2's gear list:oldphotog2's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D200 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow