Who needs Photoshop & RAW when you've got an X Pro 1!

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481Gear list
Like?
Re: Who needs Photoshop & RAW when you've got an X Pro 1!
In reply to JonB1975, Nov 28, 2012

JonB1975 wrote:

It's no surprise that the X Pro-1 produces sharper and more detailed prints than either the D300 or 5D (I am assuming the mk1) seeing it has 3-4 more megapixels than those cameras and no low-pass filter either. When Fuji announced the X Pro-1 they claimed it at least matched the 5D MkII in terms of resolution despite giving away 5 mpix.

Also, the jpeg engine in camera out-performs every raw converter available - even the one Fuji provides in the box (Silkypix if I'm not mistaken - which is horrible to use). Fuji took years to develop the X-Trans sensor and the software necessary to exploit it fully - now all the other companies are playing catch-up and have yet to do so.

The new X lenses are also some of the best examples of their respective focal lengths too.

As for shooting in raw (will people please stop using caps for that word it's completely unnecessary - there's no need to SHOUT)

Point taken but may be a lost cause. It is capped a lot like it is mistaken for an acronym, not to shout.

that really is horses for courses nowadays. My job entails producing about 15,000 photo prints a week from 10 photographers - I'll take 3-4mb (well exposed!) jpegs over 10-12mb raw files any time thank you very much! I have neither the time to process them or hard drive space to store them.

As for my own photos - since getting the X100 I have never felt the need to use raw files from it - the jpegs are that good! (I do shoot raw+jpeg occasionally - for insurance only)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
I doNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow