Is Rebel XS (1000D) the best camera ever?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Guilherme Escosteguy
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Is Rebel XS (1000D) the best camera ever?
Nov 28, 2012

Sorry for the tabloid like headline, but I need awsers...

I´m a Food Photographer, and my main goal when choosing gear is to achieve maximum sharpness, good color rendition and dynamic range.
Since I only use ISO 100, studio lighting, manual settings, RAW and the optimal lens settings (based in photozone.de lab tests), I don´t need the extra features of the Pro cameras. I just need a nice sensor.

Pixel peeping in the dpreview Studio Scene Comparisson Tool, I simply can´t find any camera that can compete with the Canon 1000D in therms of fine detail resolving power (given the actual amount of Mp ). Even the huge megapixel DSLRs like Nikon D800 seems blurry and flat... I was expecting the same detail level, and more! But in most of the comparisons, looks like I will get more detail just by upsampling the 1000D image... Sounds dumb, but take a look for yourselves and tell me what you think. Or my Rebel is a killer or dpreview is screwing the tests, LOL!

Now I´m about to get a more high-end body but I´m afraid I will loose image quality and pay for a lot of features I will never really use in my shooting...
Somebody had the chance to compare the images taken with the 1000D with a more pro body like the 50D ( witch is the camera I´m buying )? Same scene, same settings, same lens?

Thanks.

Canon EOS 1000D (EOS Rebel XS / Kiss F Digital) Canon EOS 50D Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow