Dear Sigma, I'm not keeping the DP1 Merrill.

Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sandyramirez
Contributing MemberPosts: 557Gear list
Like?
Re: It's really not smart to return a DP1 or DP2 Merrill
In reply to Antone, Nov 28, 2012

Antone wrote:

adegroot wrote:

Anyone who returns his/her DP1M or DP2M will regret it:

They are on sale at Adorama at B&H for $150 discount:

Read e.g.also the DP1M review at Adorama:

(their)

Conclusion and recommendation
I love the image quality and responsiveness of the Sigma DP1 Merrill. Yes, there is room for improvement when it comes to battery life and working with RAW files, but it is worth it for the amazing, jaw dropping-quality you will get out of the DP1 Merrill. If you are like me, and place image quality above all else there is nothing outside of dragging around a medium format camera that will match it.

I'm always a bit skeptical of favorable reviews by companies that sell the product. Conflict of interest, and all.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

As the person who wrote the review I can tell you that yes we have published some scathing ones there. That said, I think either of the Merrills are excellent cameras, but using them is a lot like using TechPan back in the film days. If you put in the effort and work with it, the modern DPs will reward you with images that are just out of this world. Still it is not (as I clearly state in the review) a camera for everyone. It is really a camera for an advanced user who put the premium on IQ over anything else. It isn't a bad camera. It is pretty good actually, but you have to have the skill and patience to work with it. It won't make things easy and doesn't think for you.

It is not for the lazy photographer, or as Luminous Landscape's review stated - it isn't for pussies.

Sandyramirez's gear list:Sandyramirez's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Pentax 645D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow