Best lens for Northern Lights?

Started Oct 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jack Simpson
Forum ProPosts: 10,973Gear list
Like?
Re: Adam wonderful pics....(Ditto)
In reply to AdamBird, Nov 28, 2012

AdamBird wrote:

Thanks for the comments about my shots. With regards to the setup etc... I always shot wide open, the lenses I have are not really too soft wide open so I felt like a small amount of sharpness was worth having a smaller ISO/shutter speed. I can accept the quality of my 7D to around 1600 ISO, 3200 not so much though. Keeping the shutter speed as short as possible was also in my intention to retain the detail in the aurora. I had the camera in Manual mode, wide open, started the ISO at 1600 and reduced if necessary, then experimented with different shutter speeds.
As for temperature, Iceland being an Island doesn't get as cold as mainland would and it is also warmed by the gulfstream so the coldest we saw was -8 deg C but it was usually somewhere in the region of -3/-4 deg C. Nothing like -30 although it was still cold with the wind blowing onto your skin. I had a generic base layer top and trousers, a Rab pertex thin jacket, a Montane Extreme coat and some Craghopper winter lined trousers. This was actually too warm for -8 so I had my coat open a bit, better to be too warm than cold I guess!

hi Adam,

A definite yes regarding the too warm vs too cold   I never really thought that Iceland would be effected by the "gulfstream" :o    Sounds like Iceland/Reykjavik has weather similar to Vancouver, although it (Reyk) might be chillier than YVR in depths of winter (Jan/Feb) but, definitely warmer than Churchill :D.

For some reason, I thought shooter Aurora would be similar to shooting fireworks .... "low asa, mid-range aperture (5.6ish) and focus to infinity".  Hmmmm .... interesting

Cheers,

Jack

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax K-r Pentax Q7 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow