ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tom graham
Contributing MemberPosts: 763
Like?
More - SATA to ESATA
Nov 28, 2012

Hi All,
This to add a little more info regarding my adventure adding ESATA capability to my PC. (And FWIW my PC has a Gigabayte mobo GA-P35-DS3L, and OS is W2K).

Reference previous thread here a few days ago - about my initial problem and fix. - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50329662

After getting esata to work, data transfer speed seemed slower than I expected. The esata enclosure was a Sabrent UEIS7. The HDD inside a Seagate 500G sata. I found some disk/drive speed check programs, HD Speed, HD_Tach, and DriveSpeedChecker to run for speed testing. The Sabrent esata did not preform even as well as its USB capability!!! Also with Sabrent on the loading of "Partition Commander" it would not load but hang. BTW, I connected the Seagate directly into PC (sata to sata) and it performs a 30% better than the PC's other (older) sata HDDs.
So I got another esata enclosure to try. A NexStar3 model NST-360SU-BL. It works great on esata. As fast as Seagate did when PC connected sata-sata. It also allows Partition Commander to boot and show as a drive.

FWIW, the NexStar3 does not have a cooling fan, but it is aluminium case. After two days the Seagate temperature inside is around 40C. Running same as the internal PC drives, at around 40C.

Tom

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow