Thom Hogan on D600 oil/dust issue

Started Nov 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others...
In reply to J Mankila, Nov 27, 2012

J Mankila wrote:

BackInTheGame wrote:

Janne, there is no such thing as an FX lens. It is F-mount, and new models can be used to full benefit on any Nikon DSLR, DX or FX, even some 35mm film cameras.

Okay, non-DX lens, then.

What's wrong with buy it if you want it and can afford it? The only justification required is to yourself.

There are people who can afford lots of lenses - maybe so many that it doesn't even matter. Let them buy all the gadgets in the world if they find some satisfaction in that. They don't need advice.

The majority of us hobbyists, instead, need to go through a long period of analysing our needs, wants and spare cash. We don't want to make uninformed decisions that we'll regret because it can cost a lot - sometimes as much as a nice trip abroad (to some unforeseen photographic opportunities).

It seems you had to get the 14-24 out of your system - to see that the extra bit of image quality it affords wasn't quite worth it in the end. It could've cost you a fair bit. Good thing it didn't.

The bottom line is that we need good advice and information, open mind and perhaps even some rough criticism to really know what we're doing with our hobby. Otherwise money and time will be lost - which could've been better invested in something good. What did the old German man of power, Von Bismarck, say a century ago:

"Only fools learn from their own mistakes. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others."

-- hide signature --

regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

I never take a bath on a lens because I never buy bad lenses.  I do my homework reading lens reviews if I am interested in something.  You don't know if you will appreciate a 105mm VR macro until you try it.  It's nice on a DX body, and it makes a decent substitute for an 85mm lens on FX.  Otherwise, I didn't care for it.  It cost me about $40 to learn that.  No one could tell me with any certainty that I would or would not put that in my bag for life, alongside my 85mm.  I enjoyed the experience, and that's what it's all about.  And I learned that what I really wanted was a very high quality, long macro lens.  The best prospects - Nikon 200mm, Tamron 180mm, and Sigma 150mm.  After a lot of research I chose the Sigma, non-OS.  I have had it for a couple of years now, and I intend to keep it.  I use it often and enjoy it every time I do.  It is very sharp, and it delivers nice bokeh when I want it.  It is fantastic for macros on FX, DX or CX.  The $40 I lost on the 105mm VR helped me get to that place, so I think it was money well spent.  A $100 loss would have been acceptable.  You cannot rent that 105 lens for any length of time at that rate, and if you do like it your rental fee is down the drain, just like my $40.

-- hide signature --

Roy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow