Can a screw on solid ND filter work with a Sigma 10-20 ultra wide at 10mm?

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,188Gear list
Like?
Re: If you say so...
In reply to photonius, Nov 27, 2012

photonius wrote:

Mike CH wrote:

Aussie Coop wrote:

Mike CH wrote:

Aussie Coop wrote:

I've never had trouble with vignetting with my Canon 10-22mm @ 10mm with any of my ND filters. Ive got Hoya & B&W in various strengths.

Matt is asking about the Sigma 10-20, though...

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Oh Im terribly sorry. I did specifically say @ 10mm . I guess I wrongfully assumed that a Canon 10-22 and a Sigma 10-20 are the same focal length at 10mm .

Same focal length? Not necessarily so, actually . There are differences between actual and reported focal length across and even within brands. They are normally not large, but you are not necessarily right in assuming that they will be the same.

A worse problem, though, is another. Increased vignetting from filters depends on the actual construction of the lens: how close does the front casing (the filter thread in this case) of the lens approach the cone of the field of view? The closer, the worse the possible vignetting effect from filters.

And since there is a chance that Canon and Sigma lenses differ in physical construction, it is risky to argue that that since the Canon does not vignette at 10mm, neither will the Sigma

Quite correct, but then there are many people using filters on the Sigma just fine, and there are no huge reports on the web that the Sigma lens is bad because it can't take filters.

I don't think I said that it won't work, right? My point was quite different: to show that the positive conlusion was incorrect. Part of the point was also to show the guy I replied to that his sarcasm wasn't quite warranted, as his basic premises were faulty.

In fact, a simple google with "sigma 10-20 filter" will give you reports o flkr that normal filters work.

This is way more usable for the OP instead of the guesswork which has come before.

If Sigma incorporates a filter thread, it should at least take a thin CPL (since CPLs are one of the main filter types used).

In my experience that is unfortunately not true. I used to use that lens on a 1.5 crop body (Sony A700) and there was a slight tendency to vignette at 10mm when using a standard protection filter. You can hope that the presence of a filter thread implies that filters are usable, but that is all. Unfortunately.

So, the Sigma will presumably behave very similar,

If you change 'presume' to 'there is a chance' then I will agree with you.

Anyway, as I mentioned, your comments are valid, on the other hand, the assumption that 5mm or less filters should work fine on the Sigma, since they work fine on a similar Canon, is also a pretty valid one.

If your reasoning convinces you, that is fine for me. It does not convince me. Especially since I've had experiences with that lens which showed me differently.

Just to be clear: I am not saying that it will vignette. What I am saying is that the arguments brought up so far do not prove that it won't.

In fact, I will go so far as to say that I surmise that it will work, as a) a 1.5 body might be just enough to bring it into the danger zone as compared with a 1.6 body and b) there are no reports to be found saying it is a problem.  B) of course being the weightier argument. If I were the OP I'd give it a try. Keyword being 'try'.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

 Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow