Black Saturday

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
photowipe
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
Re: Black Saturday
In reply to Trafford, Nov 27, 2012

The pictures might set up different responses in people who have different feelings about nuclear energy (or holiday shopping). While I have my own opinions and motivations that cause me to shoot certain things, I try to create complex images with at least a degree of ambiguity so that the viewer brings their own baggage to the experience. For instance, these images were shot near a reactor in eastern Pennsylvania, not far from the infamous Three Mile Island facility that experienced a partial meltdown in 1979. The cooling towers here are identical to those at TMI and have become an iconic and instantly recognizable symbol for anyone aware of the incident (especially those of us who were nearby at the time). The shape of those towers, the steam, and the proximity to normal activities is indeed somewhat reminiscent of a very frightening episode, and the recent events in Japan continue to reinforce fear of the downside of nuclear power. That's why I think Ant's use of the word "ominous" is particularly apt. For those with other feelings or opinions, the scenes might just be odd, or at least, hopefully, visually engaging. As a street photographer, I've never been satisfied with simply shooting sneaky pictures of people on the street- I feel an opportunity and maybe even a responsibility to help encourage thoughtful contemplation of important topics by creating these types of visual prompts. Thanks for looking.

photowipe's gear list:photowipe's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow