Old SLR glass on new DSLR - should I even consider it?

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Thorbard
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
Re: Old SLR glass on new DSLR - should I even consider it?
In reply to Beachcomber57, Nov 27, 2012

Beachcomber57 wrote:

Photography gurus...

I'm in the market to by a decent mid level DSLR and had shortlisted a Nikon D7000 or Canon 7D as the sort of camera to go for. In parallel I've found my late fathers old SLR camera gear and a little internet searching has suggested the lenses may have some quality and could potentially be used with adapters on a modern DSLR.

Lenses are...

• Tamron SP 35-80mm f/2.8-3.8 CF BBAR MC
  • Komura 80-200mm f4.5 Telephoto Zoom
  • Tamron 28mm F/2.5 ADAPTALL 2 lens

These lens are all screw thread and were partnered with a Pentax ESii.

Clearly I'd be manually focussing and I guess metering will be massively compromised, but could I still get quality results?
The first two lenses seem well regarded on some sites, but am I going to lose so much quality that any outcomes will be far worse than buying new glass designed especially for DSLRs?

All advice gratefully received.

Beachcomber57

As others have said, there isn't really anything there that modern lenses can't do at a reasonable price.

Start out with something like the 7D, with an 15-85 IS and 70-300 IS (or Nikon equivalent) and you'll go far.

Note that those aren't necessarily the best lenses out there, but they'd certainly give you a great start in similar focal lengths to the ones your father had.

Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow