Mack Warranty and PC Nation (How they will treat you in a pinch.)

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
olindacat
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
Mack Warranty and PC Nation (How they will treat you in a pinch.)
Nov 27, 2012

I don't know how many here have bought extended warranties or coverage from camera vendors. I never do, but was convinced by Pearl at PC Nation to give Mack (http://www.mackcam.com) a try. I had a very good experience with her and after she wrote to me her undying support for this product, I took the plunge. Of course, I have Allstate.

Flash-forward to 11 days ago. I break my D800E. Badly. It's chassis is completely torn down the front side. I reach out to Mack and their website doesn't allow me to register a claim. They have Sandy interrupting their service. (Aren't web servers usually redundant?). I feel bad for them, but business is business.

I copy Pearl on what is going on after I try calling and get nothing but voicemails. It is the weekend. I chill until Monday.

I get an email from Barry, their sales director, after Pearl calls him. I am on 'assignment'. I have until 12/10 to shoot 116-pages of print editorial in Hawaii. I need help. Barry tells me to ship the camera with the warranty, receipt, letter explaining what happened. I ship 2-day UPS. It is signed for at 9:45 am on Wed. (Last week.)

I wait. It is addressed to Barry personally. I wait.

I email Barry yesterday.

My tracking number doesn't exist in UPS's system he basically tells me. What's my serial number, what's my RA number. (He forgets I could not get the website to work.)

My wife confirms with UPS the employee's name, who signed for the camera, five days earlier.

Barry then says they were closed for the holiday. His techs are working OT. He has seen the photos of my camera. It is 'toast' as Pearl described it.

So, I am awaiting his techs. I ask him why I can't just buy a replacement while they figure it out. Nada. Today, he writes and tells me:

John:’
Your camera is going to Nikon for evaluation
Barry

This is unacceptable and I let him know it. I could have had Allstate handle this claim over the phone in about a day. I have lost 11 days of shooting as a result of this, and I was very nice, polite, and explained my circumstances. It is like they do not hear me.

Barry responds:

John:
The only thing we see is the outside; I didn’t say it was totally destroyed. I am not a tech.
They send it to Nikon for evaluation, they make the final determination. As to repair or replace it.
Barry

Now, I'm sure Nikon could figure out a way to salvage some working parts off of this, but it is probably more cost-effective to replace with a refurb and then refurb. So I ask if I can pay for expedited shipping, which Nikon location, who is evaluating. No reply.

I tell Barry this has been a pretty slow and lagging process and he is indifferent. He lectures me about having a back-up. (I have a D600, D2X, D7000 for back-ups, but the E is the camera.) I don't need to hear this. I just need to get a straight answer as to when I can get my repaired or replacement camera.

I don't normally write these kinds of threads. I do feel that Mack is stalling in every way that they can. They will no doubt make good, in their sweet time. I will update this as things move along.

olindacat's gear list:olindacat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Nikon D2X Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow