85f1.8 vs f1.4

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
azoele
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
Re: 85f1.8 vs f1.4
In reply to Giovanni_1968, Nov 27, 2012

Ciao Giovanni,

I have had all 3 (1.8D, 1.4D, and now 1.4G). Sorry to disappoint, but the 1.8D is the worst of the lot.
Lots of CA wide open, and a so-so rendering that never made me appreciate it. It really is nothing to write home about.
Why not the old 105 2.5 ai? it seems to be a fantastic lens with a terrific rendition, and it's cheaper than a used 85 1.8D. I'd try that, although with the small viewfinder it could be hard. But I shot the S5 with the 28 2.8AI for some time, and had quite some success... and fun.

Lory

Giovanni_1968 wrote:

My dream lenses are the 84f1.4D (no G, thank you!) and either the 105 (a bit short for my taste) or the 135DC, I can't afford any of them and as such they have to remain as dreams but I was wondering if the gap between the 84 f1.4 and f1.8 was so big in terms of out of focus rendering, sharpness and tonal range; I have the 50f1.4D and I love it, to be honest 1.4 to 1.8 doesn't seem a big deal, the 85 f1.8 has 9 blades which suggests, technically, a good bokeh, I also have the double ring 80-200 which I love but sometimes you wanna go light and a couple primes would do well...

So, what do you think about the 1.4 vs 1.8?

p.s. will be eventually used on a DX camera like my Fuji S5

-- hide signature --

Giovanni - Fuji S5 and Panasonic L1 shooter
http://www.flickr.com/photos/giovanniaprea/

-- hide signature --

'The human race is a race of cowards. And I'm not only marching in that procession, but carrying a banner.'
Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow