makeshift lampshade softbox + SEL50f18

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
dzajba
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
Re: makeshift lampshade softbox + SEL50f18
In reply to iamDinesh, Nov 27, 2012

Thanks, unfortunately I won't be able to show any photos of the setup as I used the only large lamp in the house, so right after the shoot I had to disassemble everything. But it basically looked like this:

http://www.htfinethings.com/images/graphics/34892.jpg

a tall lamp with a very similar lampshade. I lined the inside of the shade with tin foil and cover both the small hole on top and the big hole at the bottom with a white bed sheet:) I was lucky enough to find a really strong bulb (like 350 W), but still had to shoot at ISO 400 and F2 to get decent shutter speeds. The light was indeed soft but pretty dim. The whole point of this DIY was to eventually decide to buy a cheap amateur bundle with a proper soft box, a bulb and a stand. I'm pleased with the results of the DIY kit, so I expect an actual kit will be even more effective, that's why I'm going to order one.

Also, in the first shot, she might be holding a large white cardboard on her lap. And I definitely put a simple desk lamp behind her back which gave the effect of flickering hair on the side.

Cheers!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow