Started Nov 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: He does have a point...
In reply to J Mankila, Nov 27, 2012

J Mankila wrote:

BackInTheGame wrote:

..... Thom doesn't give us enough anymore to justify the effort. I go there, and I try. I skim for tidbits, and often I feel a little embarrassed for spending the time to actually read the stuff. He starts all these topics like "dearth of DX lenses", but I won't rehash that.

I think that particular topic is a very interesting one, not least because it has some repercussions on the FX lens roadmap. I held off buying DX lenses for my D80 knowing that Nikon will introduce FX cameras before long, and I'm glad. The DX lens ecosystem is confused. But that's not the topic, here...

His D300 book was very helpful for me because that was my first semi-pro Nikon DSLR. His D7000 book not so much. He does good lens reviews, except for his "Who should and who shouldn't buy". Buy it if you want it and can pay for it.

Certainly, that is a poor advice?

As you mentioned with your experience with the 14-24, perhaps someone with similar experiences should've asked you whether you really feel comfortable at such wide angles. Where I live, we don't get to sell lenses for more than what we've paid for it, even if we buy it off some cheap eBay store. We usually lose at least a quarter or a third, even if the lens is in mint condition. Here, people know the cheapest places to buy the gear new.

-- hide signature --

regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

Janne, there is no such thing as an FX lens.  It is F-mount, and new models can be used to full benefit on any Nikon DSLR, DX or FX, even some 35mm film cameras.

What's wrong with buy it if you want it and can afford it?  The only justification required is to yourself.

I had a 15% off coupon when I bought my 14-24mm, and the new price increased almost $200 over the time I had it.  Yes, I feel comfortable shooting wide angle.  But I love 50 and 85mm for family, I like 150mm for macro and incredibly tight portraits, I really get off on 300mm and birds.  I like 70-200 for events and special occasions.  I like the little 24mm 2.8D for a walk at the lake (it is particularly good on my D5100 even though it is MF only).  I like them all.  So none of them dominate my camera, and I think a lens that costs $2000 needs to see a lot of use in order to justify the expense.  I get a lot of pleasure going out with just the D800E and the 16-28mm Tokina.  You can do some great landscapes and pretty nice portraits with it, particularly at 16mm f2.8 where it appears your subject is rushing forward in 3D out of a huge expanse.  It's fun to shoot and fun to look at on the screen.  And it is worth every penny of the $749 I paid for the lens, even if I leave it in the closet for a month at a time.

-- hide signature --

Roy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow