About to buy camera for wife

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,539Gear list
Like?
Re: About to buy camera for wife
In reply to happysnapper64, Nov 27, 2012

happysnapper64 wrote:

The T3i is a very capable camera. It is fairly easy to use & nice to hold. However, if your wife is used to Nikon, & the swivel screen is of benefit to her, [it was for me] you could stick with Nikon & look at the D5100. If the swivel screen is not essential, then the D3200 is a great entry level DSLR. Most DSLR's are bigger than the P90, so as much as it's nice to surprise her, she probably needs to try it out beforehand, or buy from a shop with a good returns policy. I'm not trying to steer you away from Canon, I use Canon myself, just if she is familiar with & likes Nikon maybe she should stay with it. Good luck.

I agree with Lee.  She is most likely to be happy with a camera which at least superficially seems familiar.

I suggest you get buy from a shop with a good return policy.  Having her try it before can ruin the surprise.  But it might be that she would prefer another brand or another model.... for example she might decide she really wants some specific feature like weather sealing (Nikon d7000) or a hybrid DSLR - cam-corder (Panasonic Gh2 or Gh3).

The d3200 is newer, with a very good sensor.  The d5100 is soon to be replaced by the d5200 and so it can be had for very low prices.  (from 460 and up).  The low light performance of the d5100 is still essentially tied with the best on the market.  (the d3200 is also very good here).

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow