Started Nov 27, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Lightroom 4 question
Nov 27, 2012

I just installed LR4 and planned to set it up to keep both my raw images and my catalog on a separate external usb drive. The drawback of doing it this way, of course, is that if the external drive is not connected to the computer, then when LR starts it will complain that it can not find the catalog and I either have the choice of picking the default catalog and then changing it when I get the usb drive connected or shutting down LR, connecting the usb drive and then starting LR again. I am working on a laptop so I cannot keep the external usb drive permanently connected like I could on a desktop and I am using an external usb drive so that I can easily backup both the images and the catalog and, if I need, switch seamlessly to a desktop or another laptop to do processing. So here is my question.

If I set up LR to keep the catalog on the laptop hard drive, but the images on the usb drive, could I then, if I wanted, copy the catalog file to another computer with LR installed, hook up the usb drive and continue working on my images? Or would copying the catalog file not copy all of the information needed to work on that catalog on another machine?

Thanks.

ANSWER:
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow