Gonna change my travel lens line-up again :(

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Chris Dennehy
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
Re: Gonna change my travel lens line-up again :(
In reply to BG_CX3_DPREVIEW, Nov 27, 2012

Hi,

May I enquire if you specifically bought the 24mm lens for your trip to New York or is it just a general need for a wider angle.

In terms of full frame or film cameras the 24mm is an excellent choice, for years I needed to be able to take pictures of buildings and used an Olympus OM1 camera with 24mm lens and I could just about cover them without having to worry too much about converging verticals etc.

24mm on digital is another matter and I found the 36mm equivalent focal length nowhere near wide enough so I recently acquired, after much agonizing,  a Pentax 21mm (31.5mm equiv) for my DSLR.

I have never been to New York but on the basis of seen images it appears to me that tall buildings and relatively narrow streets might require something wider than a 24mm full frame lens, but then again I really don't know your style of shooting.

I never had much use for 50mm on film, I don't know why but I just never liked it, on digital however the 75mm length really appeals to me so I think that's an excellent choice. I have found that on film the 135mm or its digital equivalent is very good.

Let us know how you get on.

-- hide signature --

CD

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CVNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow