ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
likota
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Best compact flash set-up for OM-D + 60 mm macro
Nov 27, 2012

Hi all.

In a few days I will get my Oly 60 mm macro lens and I wanted to ask what would be the best flash to go with it. However, I want to keep the set-up compact/ portable for handheld use outdoors.For indoor use I have a lightbox with contiuous lighting installed so that wouldn't be a problem. I just want to have an option to use the macro lens when I'm hiking.

Does anyone have experience with the MAL-1 LED lights? I think that would be the lightest, smallest and cheapest set-up but I don't know how good it is.

I just saw that now there is a new adapter ring available for the 60 mm (Olympus FR-2) and you can mount macro flash units on it (RF-11 or TF-22). However, I am not so sure how portable this solution would be.

Another option would be to just get another flash like the FL-600r and use the clip-on flash as a trigger. This would be a universal solution as it could be used for other applications as well (portraits) but again I don't know how practical it would be (camera in one hand and flash in the other hand, side-mount the flash).

Maybe there are some 3rd party solutions available that would work even better. Any ideas?

likota's gear list:likota's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D610 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow