Alternative paper needed

Started Nov 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
E Dinkla
Contributing MemberPosts: 542
Like?
Re: Alternative paper needed
In reply to Peter Patricelli, Nov 27, 2012

Peter Patricelli wrote:

And, I looked carefully at the matte-like backside of the laminated papers. At first glance it looks as though it laminated cleanly, but in fact it does not. There are myriad pinhole bubbles that do NOT show up against a clean white background except to very close inspection, but would be immediately obvious against a darker picture. The slightest, smallest non-adherent lamination spot shows up immediately and ruins the placemat altogether. The current paper laminates 100%, 100% of the time. I think it must be gloss surfaced or possibly semi-gloss. It took me awhile to find one that did....way back when. And the fact that it was so inexpensive was such a plus!

Papers vary a lot on the surface qualities both at the printing side and the back side. Usually the single side matt coated papers have a smoother front than back. Dual sided should be smooth at both sides. Depending on the pressure of the laminator, glue amount on the lamination foil and smoothness of the paper results will vary. RC papers like discussed so far may have only a PE barrier layer at the back and no extra coating like anti-curl, polyethylene is not the nicest material to adhere something to, hard to print or paint. If it has be glued etc in the industry it gets a Corona treatment or in solid form is flamed to change its surface for a better bond.

Check for good lamination properties in plain matte papers, gloss and matte RC papers, Consider dual sided papers too. Red River or similar companies may not have that information. Check what bigger companies = the real manufacturers write about lamination properties. Red River

-- hide signature --

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update july 2012: Moab changes, paper sorting by name

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow