Considered moving back from the 15-85mm to the 18-55mm kit lens

Started Nov 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ralph46
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182Gear list
Like?
Re: Considered moving back from the 15-85mm to the 18-55mm kit lens
In reply to carlk, Nov 27, 2012

carlk wrote:

Seems like you already know the ins and outs of the two options. What you should use entirely depends on you personal preferences isn't it?

Exactly correct. However these preferences can contradict each other. Leaving the cost aspect aside, I would prefer a small and light lens that gives good performance. On the small kit lens I would have put up with a slightly lower resolution and a little bit more CA for the convenience. The low contrast and flare, however, turned out making this lens not as suitable for general use as my 15-85mm to which I will return.

What I described here has been the path I took to decide where my personal preference will be in the end. To do this, several factors must be examined and weighed up against each other. Somebody else might come to a different conclusion, because his (her) priorities are different. I hope this process may have been of help to someone.

-- hide signature --

Ralph46's gear list:Ralph46's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow