How to get rid of glare?

Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
saywhathomie
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
Re: How to get rid of glare?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Nov 27, 2012

Sailor Blue wrote:

What you are seeing is a direct reflection of one or more of the bulbs. The basis of reflection is that the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. The only way to avoid this is to avoid having the light at any angle where a reflection from the subject can reach the lens.

Adding a diffuser won't eliminate the glare problem, only make the spot into a strip.

I strongly recommend you buy and study a copy of "Light Science and Magic". It will give you a ton of information about lighting.

Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: Amazon.com

The green color cast in your image is from the fact that the CFLs are not proper photography ones with a full color spectrum output. At an absolute minimum you should be using daylight CFLs. Cheap ones from the supermarket won't have a high quality color spectrum. For a proper full color output you need to buy special CFLs from someone like Westcott. Try Adorama or B&H.

Even with the bulbs you are using now you can get better color by using a Custom White Balance set with a good quality WB card. I recommend this one from Robin Myers. It is practically indestructible so one is enough for a lifetime (unless you lose it).

Robin Myers Imaging: Digital Gray Card

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

I tried pointing the lamps at the wall but that makes the video dim/dark. The only position I can get enough light is with the bulbs right next the camera.

Somebody mentioned a softbox. Would that help with the spots?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow