Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
F Stop Fitzgerald
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
Gonna change my travel lens line-up again :(
Nov 27, 2012

The past few weeks I've been leaving the A12 28mm and 50mm units at home. I wanted to try limiting myself to just manual focus lenses in the m-mount unit. I also grew to dislike the 50mm field of view.

Recently I've been using the 28mm f/2 Ultron, 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and 90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit. Accounting for the crop factor this had given me a Effective Field of View of: 42mm, 75mm and 135mm. So far I LOVE the 75mm and 135mm.

But even though the 28mm f/2 Ultron is an excellent performer optically, the 42mm field of view is a bit tight for me and because I sometimes shoot in very dark environments the f/2 lens is not as bright as I would like.

So I've purchased a lens that is a bit wider and one stop faster. The lens is a 1980s vintage Canon FD 24mm f/1.4 "L" lens which should be in my hands before my trip to New York City this weekend. I talked to some experts and they tell me that this aspherical Canon lens was an amazingly good lens and it was very sharp and contrasty even when wide open at f/1.4. The 36mm EFOV of this lens might possibly give me more breathing room in my environmental portraits?

The other lens option is Leica 24mm f/1.4 Summilux, which is $7000 and is way too much money in my opinion. Interestingly in a few months I will have the opportunity to test the Leica 24mm f/1.4 Summilux and I am curious to find out it the how the Leica and the Canon compare to each other on the GXR.

F Stop Fitzgerald's gear list:F Stop Fitzgerald's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha 7R +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CVNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow