first attempt at portrait lighting--suggestions welcome

Started Nov 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,310Gear list
Like?
Re: Sailor Blue...
In reply to Steve West, Nov 27, 2012

Steve West wrote:

Thanks Sailor Blue. You are right--I missed focus. The focus was a mid hair plane! I left all the AF points active, and I should have used a single spot AF. I guess it will take a few more iterations. I ordered a proper flash light grid to replace the paper towel tube I used here.

-- hide signature --

The longer the tube, the narrower the beam of light.  Just cut off the tube.  It should be painted flat black for best results.

I use DIY grids on my hot-shoe flash when I use it as an accent or hair light.  You can find some examples here.  I couldn't find black soda straws here in Thailand so I used strips of black Coroplast glued together and it works very well.  A box my coffee comes in plus a bit of Velcro made the holder for the grid.  The calculator will let you calculate how long to make the grid.  There are also commercially available grids.

43 Photography Hacks, Mods And DIY Projects | DIYPhotography.net

Flickr: Discussing Home Depot Gutter Adapter Black Straw Grid in *DIY Photography Equipment

Paulo Rodrigues Photography: Gridspot Design Calculator

Plastic DIY Grids for Sale

ExpoImaging : Rogue Grid: 3-in-1 Honeycomb Grid [4]

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow