is EF 70-300 f4.5-5.6 L IS better than 70-200 f2.8 L IS II with 2x teleconverter?

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dave Seeley
Contributing MemberPosts: 749
Like?
Re: Incapable or inconsiderate?
In reply to Henrik Herranen, Nov 27, 2012

Henrik Herranen wrote:

This forum is called Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk. In other words, it is a forum for Canon Full Frame and APS-H camera bodies.

You currently have four topics listed at the first page of this forum. Their subjects are:
- is EF 70-300 f4.5-5.6 L IS better than 70-200 f2.8 L IS II with 2x teleconverter?
- EOS M camera with L lenses???
- Discounts on the 24-70mm L 2.8 II ???
- trouble with my 28-70 2.8L -only goes to 50mm

There is also a forum called Canon SLR Lens Talk. It's so clear that it's not even debatable that three of those four front page topics belong there. The fourth really doesn't fit in either of these groups.

I have a question. Are you incapable of selecting the right forum for your discussion openings or are you just inconsiderate?

If all - or even many people enough - did the same you do, all forums would contain everything in a mish-mash that would make it impossible to find any relevant information.

I recommend for all to report completely off-topic posts before the forum system really breaks down - and not only the ones from this poster.

- Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik,

Thanks for your consideration. I'll make an effort in future to post lens questions in the Canon lens forum and see how that goes.

For what it's worth, I think of this forum not as the Full Frame and APS-H camera bodies forum, but the primary place to interface Canon pros and semi-pros, in order to learn...and share when I can. I suspect that 95% of that particular audience is on this particular forum, and will not be on any others unless they have a specific question for those forums, which will be -relatively- rare. As a result, I believe questions in other forums will see less Canon pro responses.

Humor me for a minute more and I'll try to explain why.

I've been on this forum for a decade now, and it has changed its designation as camera models came and went. It has been an invaluable resource for me in my pursuit to better my knowledge and skills as a photographer. In the best spirit of internet sharing, when I come here to ask a question via a new post, I will look for others' questions whom I might be able to help. Because my knowledge is limited, I can't always give as good as I get, but I will scan the first couple of pages to find posts where I might offer credible advice. That advice is rarely related at all to the topic I came to learn about... True, I could go to other forums, and look for threads where I could help... but mostly, by the time i go through three pages on this forum, I've found one or two where I could weigh in, and then I'm out of time or gas. I believe most pros here, who want to give back, would do the same, so would not likely see my posts in other forums, and it's the pros' perspective that I want - really, how many people outside of this forum are interested in buying a $2300 Canon lens?  Are there more people here, or in the Canon Lens forum, who have had to have a 28-70 2.8L repaired?  I'm looking for a pro perspective even on the EOS M, where I'm curious about marrying it to L series lenses to shoot models, and how that falls short of a standard set by my 5diii, or 1D series bodies.

And no, I don't think that questions on this forum not strictly linked to sensor size will destroy this valuable resource. The filing system seems secondary, especially with good on-site search capability. On this particular forum, over the years, I've learned or counseled others on Photoshop, Apple computers, iPads for wireless previews, radio triggers, flash lighting, tripods, camera straps, flash modifiers, lenses, techniques for shooting flat art, shooting in the rain, shooting models in studio, shooting weddings, backup cameras. I'm sure much of that should have been logically relocated to other forums, if they had existed at the time. But in the end, it's the advice of the folks on this forum that makes me value this site, and feel a strong sense of gratitude and loyalty.

I'd say that there was a sea change a year or two ago, when suddenly there was a marked increase in people who were nasty or disgruntled in their postings. That makes me sad.  THAT makes me worry about this valuable resource.

In answer to your question, "Are you incapable of selecting the right forum for your discussion openings or are you just inconsiderate?"  I think I've given you enough info for you to be the judge, and I am confident that you will be.

Sincerely

Dave Seeley

--

pro photo-illustration
http://www.DaveSeeley.com/
current kit: 5DmkIII, 5DmkII, 17-35/2.8L, 24-105is/4.0L, 28-70/2.8L, 70-200is/2.8L, 100 macro/2.8L, 50/1.2L, 2x II extender, 8x550ex Speedlites, Phottix Odin Flash Triggers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow