Started Nov 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,509Gear list
Like?
My ideal camera
Nov 27, 2012

I was thinking of what an ideal camera should be and it occurs to me that there is still so much room for improvement for mirrorless cameras. Imagine an M43 camera with these:

- A very high pixel density sensor, say 20MP+, with something similar to Fuji's X-Tran pattern, and therefore no AA filtering, i.e. IQ close to current FF cameras.

- Also make it a PDAF sensor and give it the fastest processors, buffers for the best AF and sophisticated image processing. I believe credible C-AF performance is just around the corner.

- Add the latest IBIS, Olympus 5-axis or whatever is the best. Add electronic shutter to deal with shutter shock.

- Add fast WiFi and Android for connectivity as started by Nikon and Samsung, and get open photographic applications similar to Sony's PlayMemories applications but better, DOF calculating/settings, HDR or focus stacking processing etc.

- Add a high res and responsive touch screen, like Samsung smartphone AMOLED ones, and greatly improved user interface and menu friendliness. For exanmple, Reading customised settings/profiles from and saving them to the memory card or directly sync'ed with a PC (setting up camera from the PC,or controlling the camera with it)

- And the best available EVF. Really big display and full of real-time data features. This and the LCD will be like PC monitors, application monitors. Maybe a pen like Samsung Note 2 S-pen for precise input to photo-taking features like where to focus, expose on or keep shadow details, or specify points to indicate the area that must be sharp for automated DOF settings.

Plus all the usual goodies that should be easy, alloy build, dual card slots, focus peaking, a proper grip and ergonomics, ...

Current MILCs are simply still too under developed. Not good enough yet. A lot could change very soon like next year, if Canon and Nikon start getting more serious and competition heats up. In particular the camera can be much much better if it is treated more like a computer, or a workstation with a lens fitted.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow