ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SR Works
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
Help updating an old Mac Pro
Nov 26, 2012

Hello,

I have an old Mac Pro with a 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Xeon processor and 9 GB of RAM. I was hoping to replace it this past summer when Apple updated the Mac Pros, but since the update wasn't particularly significant, I held off.

In the meantime I've updated my main camera to a Nikon D4 so my file sizes are larger and one of my goals for the upcoming year is to start getting myself comfortable shooting video and buy a D800 which has even larger files. I make my living from photography and though I use my Macs everyday, I'm not super savvy when it comes to the guts of my computers.

I'm hoping some of you might be able to offer a few suggestions for me regarding how/when I should update this old machine. I mostly use Lightroom 4 (which seems significantly slower than Lightroom 3), Aperture and Photoshop which is also choking on the larger files. While I thought I could limp along until the next Mac Pro update, my patience is wearing out as everything I do on the computer these days seems slow and slower.

I have several good monitors, so I lean toward the Mac Mini over the iMac, but I could go either way if one would work better for photo and future video work. (The reviews of the Mini sound really good, but it seems like a drastic change to go from the "big" Mac Pro to a Mini!) I could also get a refurbished Mac Pro at the Apple Store, but a friend of mine said I would just be paying for old technology. Finally, I could simply update my existing machine and try to keep it going until a Mac Pro update is available.

Any suggestions? On location I shoot to a Mac Book Pro, so the computer I need is for post-production work in my studio. All my photos are stored on backed-up hard drives and I just use my internal drives for applications, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Stuart

-- hide signature --

www.stuartruckman.com

Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow