Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
surfingringo
Contributing MemberPosts: 794
Like?
The PERFECT compact camera...
Nov 26, 2012

Ok, I know the title will spark a little controversy since "perfect" is a very subjective term.  I just want to hear what other people think. As far as I am concerned, there has been a lot of really exciting innovation in compact cameras in the last year or two! I am happy to see companies abandoning the huge megapixel race and focusing on what matters! lenses getting faster, sensors getting bigger, high iso performance getting better...there are a lot of good products out there!

As a reformed dslr shooter, I am still feeling a big gap there though! I think what I miss the most about shooting slr is the inability to shoot shallow dof photos when I want. having that control is a creative tool I really miss! A lot of the compact cameras out there are getting close, but...not.

Canon finally put a fast lens on the g15, but sensor still too small to achieve shallow dof. Sony made the rx100 which by all reports is a great little cam. Larger sensor,  but too slow on the long end. Canon makes the G1x. Again, a great camera but its huge sensor is negated by its slow lens!

My wish list is really short! Somebody give me a compact camera with a 1" or larger sensor and a fast lens! I can live with or without most everything else. Ovf and evf? Great but not my priority. Articulating screen? Love em, but can live with or without. I just want fast lens on big sensor! Please! And I know there are going to be some "armchair physicists" on here who say its not possible. Whatever, a lot of them thought a camera like the rx100 wasn't possible at its size. They were wrong. What about something like the oly xz-1 lens on a Sony rx100 sensor, fit into a g1x body? That sounds realistic and I think that would start to give some usable dof control!

Ok, I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts and to hear any speculation about whether MY perfect cam will ever exist!

Canon PowerShot G15 Olympus XZ-1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow