Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
penndragonn2001
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
A77 vs A550
Nov 26, 2012

I'm wondering if I should upgrade my slightly older A550 to the newer a77. main lens I'm using is the 25 yr old Minolta 200mm f2.8 G HS Lens. All settings being equal on both cameras, as much as possible, would there be a considerable difference in IQ from the A77 to the A550? I know the A77 is 24 MP and the A550 is 14.2. That aside...Just wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to the A77. I've tried the Minolta lens mentioned, on my NEX 7 with the LAEA-2 adapter, with staggeringly positive results. On my A550, the images seem somewhat soft...I know it's not the lens, given the test shots I've done on the NEX 7, so it must be the camera (A550). Any suggestions? I use the lens mostly at events to get really candid shots mounted on a tripod/monopod...otherwise I'm using the NEX with the 1st Gen E Mount 18-200mm f3.5 lens for almost everything....Another beauty. In case anyone asks, why I don't just use the NEX 7 alone, I really like the feel of the larger bodies cameras, especially when mounted..Plus, don't flame me, but people, for some reason, don't seem to take you very seriously, if they see you, with what they perceive as a P & S camera..I know, it's trivial, and not about the camera, (NEX), but the person wielding it, and the results...I know I know...Plus, always need a backup. So, what do you all think, keep the A550 or upgrade to A77? Given the reviews on the A77, it appears it's VERY similar to the NEX 7, so I may just already have my answer, just wanted to get all of your takes on the subject. Once more thing. What is the best SONY DSLR/SLT camera for Low Light Photography. Speed is zero consideration. APS-C or FF. Thanks

p.s. please, if you intent is to flame me for any reason...please, go elsewhere. Looking for intelligent/rational replies.

-- hide signature --

Sony NEX 7, Sony A550

penndragonn2001's gear list:penndragonn2001's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow