Thom Hogan on D600 oil/dust issue

Started Nov 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: I reject your opinions and substitute my own... ;)
In reply to J Mankila, Nov 26, 2012

J Mankila wrote:

I'm a Nikon fan, and I think they make the best products at the moment (although their lens lineup is lacking for my particular uses). I want Nikon to succeed in the future also, and I want to know how they're doing. Mistakes are natural for every company, and I will understand them, but it is only then that I feel that I can enjoy Nikon's triumphs as well.

I'm hoping to share your experience when I finally get my hands on my D800 (or it might just be a D600). But where we differ is that I'm quite loyal to Nikon, not because of seven Nikkors that I own (manual focus AI-S lenses, so not a major investment in terms of cash), but because they do things right. I agree with their values, mostly. But I can see equally well all the flaws that they make regarding quality control, design decisions and after sales policies (which, of course, are different from what Thom is touting in the States).

So, I love Nikon and want to be loyal to them for as long as they continue to uphold the values that they do now. That is why I want to know how they operate. I'm simply not interested in ignoring all the less cheerful bits of news or forgiving and forgetting the mistakes that the company is making. That's why I read Thom's blog.

Mind you, I understand your viewpoint as well. I may be in a similar situation regarding Diglloyd's blog - too much elitist commentary, too much nitpicking for modern technology. It's just a daunting task, nowadays, to find all the interesting bits that he writes. And then, all the interesting stuff is under the paid subscription... I've given him the benefit of the doubt, for a long time, now, and it seems I shouldn't go on.

-- hide signature --

regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

I don't think we have the same take on this.  I'm not a Nikon fan.  I am a fan of good Nikon cameras and lenses, and they have been good every time, since I first used a Nikon film body.  I expect them to be good, and they always are.  When I have a problem, and I have had on a couple, I deal with NikonUSA for resolution, never DPR and never Thom Hogan.  I don't care what percentage Hogan finds unsatisfactory to him.  I care about the one I have.

As for Granger, I think he is entertaining and informative, particularly for people just getting immersed in using a DSLR.  He is not a Nikon fanboy, he is a photography fanboy.  He loves it, and he is apparently successful with it.  I would recommend him to any new user.  He is not trying to serve people who are highly advanced or think they are highly advanced.  He is imparting general knowledge about Nikon equipment, among others, and I like what he does.

-- hide signature --

Roy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow