I want a D3x!

Started Nov 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,328Gear list
Like?
I used to shoot with a D3
In reply to D700man, Nov 26, 2012

Lovely feeling body in horizontal orientation, but the integral vertical grip is much more shallow and awkward and uncomfortable to handle with heavy lenses. As a portraitist, comfort for vertical shooting is very important, and I much prefer the comfort of the D700/D800 + grip. I also found the larger rubber grip coverings on the D3 began detaching themselves from the body appreciably sooner than the D700 and D800.

I also shoot 14-bit all the time, and would find the 2 fps max frame rate of the D3x in 14-bit limiting.

The only thing I really missed going from the D3 to the D700 was the full-time red AF point superimposition (superbly visible in low light without the red bleed of the cheaper system used in the DXXX and lower cameras), 100% finder and 5:4 image area mode, of which the latter two are now incorporated in the D800, so there is nothing to attract me in the D3x, whatever the cost.

Still...there is something to recommend simply getting what you want, and if in spite of its shortcomings, you find yourself really desiring a D3x, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow