Caribbean sweep panos from a moving ship (5N imgs)

Started Nov 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,889Gear list
Like?
Caribbean sweep panos from a moving ship (5N imgs)
Nov 26, 2012

Just wanted to share some sweep panoramas I took on my trip earlier this month...I've got a lot of different types of photos, but the panos sort of go in their own category.  All of these were particularly challenging for the camera as I was on a moving boat while taking these, but the stitching and aligning algorithm didn't seem to have any trouble figuring it all out.  I don't often use panoramas, but these were just the types of situations where you really want or need it - big, wide vistas that couldn't be captured in scale or scope with even the widest of lenses.  And it also is a key reason I love the sweep pano function: I likely would have never bothered to take a panorama in these situations if it involved specifically taking a series of shots and storing them to be aligned later and stitched, and moreover, there might have been some difficulty shooting these as individual shots and stitching later since the landscape was in constant motion.  With sweep pano, it was just one quick change of the shooting mode, meter the scene at its brightest point, then fire the shutter and sweep while it machine-guns away!

I've reduced these significantly in size, but they still run as much as 2,500 pixels wide or so - so you might need to click the originals to see the whole pano in better detail.

This is the coast of Haiti, off the western peninsula

Taken from Gatun Lake, in the Panama Canal - these ships are inside the lake and waiting their turn to transit the Gatun locks to the Atlantic side

Town of Colon, Panama, and protected harbor where ships coming or going from the Panama Canal take a break

Mist-shrouded view of Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, with Uvita Island off to the right

These two were taken with my A580, which also has sweep panorama function...

Willemstad, Curacao, with Caribbean Princess ship docked to the left

A big, wide sunset panorama over the Gulf of Mexico, on the way home to Florida

Comments, critique, questions welcome.  Hope you enjoyed a few panoramas from my trip!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow